The Historic Port of Washington Project (HPOW) is a group of dedicated volunteers who are working to preserve and share with the public the history of Washington, N. C. as a port.
- To make charitable contributions to Washington, North Carolina's historic preservation and its legacy as a port, mainly through events and exhibits.
- To educate the public about the need to preserve Washington, North Carolina's legacy as a port, motivate the public to assist through donations or personal volunteer efforts.
Our goals include:
- Sharing the story of the Port of Washington and the Pamlico River as a center of commerce and transportation.
- Establish a permanent downtown site as a local history center.
- Promoting Washington as a destination for heritage tourism.
- Continually engaging the community to develop a variety of exhibits capturing and sharing our history.
- Helping our city move forward through knowledge of its past.
- Created a history walking tour of the Harbor District.
- Creation of a 10' mural depicting the Washington waterfront circa 1900.
- Established a permanent exhibit downtown highlighting various aspects of Washington's past.
- Restored a historic "ghost sign" in the Harbor District.
- Secure and display Port of Washington artifacts, including documents, photographs, books, and other media.
- Capture oral histories through the recollections of residents.
- Restoring painted "ghost signs" (faded advertising signs from the turn of the 20th Century) in downtown Washington.
- Creating historical murals on downtown buildings.
We Need You
We need your help with these projects and with fund-raising, grant writing, project center staffing, and more.
If you are willing to lend your support monetarily or by volunteering, please click on the 'Volunteer' option in the menu above.
The Historic Port of Washington Museum Project is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. All donations are tax-deductible.
Support the Historic Port of Washington with Your Donation
If you are willing to make an on-line donation, please click:
You may also donate by check. Please make checks payable to:
Historic Port of Washington or HPOW
Mail checks to:
Historic Port of Washington
P. O. Box 171
Washington, NC 27889