The Historic Port of Washington Museum Project is a program undertaken by a group of dedicated volunteers that wish to preserve and call attention to the rich maritime history of Washington, NC.
- Our mission for the Historic Port of Washington Museum Project is to bring awareness to the public through the use of exhibits, historic walking tours, lectures, and electronic media of the significance of Washington, NC as a vibrant maritime port and center of commerce for the State of North Carolina.
Our goals include:
- Sharing the story of the Port of Washington and the Pamlico River as a center of commerce and transportation.
- Establish a permanent riverfront site for a local history center.
- Promoting Washington as a destination for heritage tourism.
- Continually engaging the community to develop a variety of exhibits capturing and sharing our history.
- Helping our city move forward through knowledge of its past.
- Creation of a 10' mural depicting the Washington waterfront circa 1900.
- Built a scale model of a turn-of-the-century schooner rigged sharpie.
- Created a 'sharpie' diorama depicting typical work boats employed on the Pamlico River.
- Secure and display Port of Washington artifacts including documents, photographs, books and other media.
- Capture oral histories through the recollections of local residents.
- Build and operate full-sized sharpies and other Pamlico watercraft.
We Need You
We need your help with these projects and with fund-raising, grant writing, project center staffing and more.
If you are willing to lend your support monetarily or by volunteering, please complete the contact form and click on the 'Submit' button.
The Historic Port of Washington Museum Project is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible.
If you are willing to make a donation, please click here
You can donate by check. Please make checks payable to:
Historic Port of Washington or HPOW
Mail checks to:
Historic Port of Washington
P. O. Box 171
Washington, NC 27889