The Historic Port of Washington Museum Project is a program undertaken by a group of dedicated volunteers who wish to preserve and call attention to the rich maritime history of Washington, NC.
- To make charitable contributions to the historic preservation of Washington, North Carolina and its legacy as a port, particularly through events, and exhibits.
- To educate the public about the needs of preserving Washington, North Carolina and its legacy as a port, and then motivate the public to provide assistance either through donations or personal volunteer efforts.
Our goals include:
- Sharing the story of the Port of Washington and the Pamlico River as a center of commerce and transportation.
- Establish a permanent riverfront site for a local history center.
- Promoting Washington as a destination for heritage tourism.
- Continually engaging the community to develop a variety of exhibits capturing and sharing our history.
- Helping our city move forward through knowledge of its past.
- Creation of a 10' mural depicting the Washington waterfront circa 1900.
- Established a permenant exhbit highlighting various aspects of Washington's past.
- Built a scale model of a turn-of-the-century schooner-rigged sharpie.
- Secure and display Port of Washington artifacts including documents, photographs, books, and other media.
- Capture oral histories through the recollections of local residents.
- Create a history walking tour of the Harbor District.
We Need You
We need your help with these projects and with fund-raising, grant writing, project center staffing and more.
If you are willing to lend your support monetarily or by volunteering, please click on the 'Volunteer' option in the menu above.
The Historic Port of Washington Museum Project is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. All donations are tax-deductible.
Support the Historic Port of Washington with Your Donation
If you are willing to make an on-line donation, please click DONATE.
You may also donate by check. Please make checks payable to:
Historic Port of Washington or HPOW
Mail checks to:
Historic Port of Washington
P. O. Box 171
Washington, NC 27889